Friday, January 14, 2005

Lucius

(real date 10-8-04)

Keygan paced. Her temper was beginning to smolder. Why was it no one here would give her any sort of straight forward answer. If the High Warden was not here, where was he? Why was it he had not met her as planned last night? She was about to storm down to the Charge of Quarters' desk and demand to know what was going on when a grizzled looking man, gently seized her elbow and led her down the hallway.

"Hello Miss Stormingbyrne." he said quietly leading her towards one of the offices.

"What is going on?" she asked testily.

Relax, my name is Lucius Kelar, I am the Arms Master here, and also the Sergeant Major. Please sit down. He gestured to a chair in front of his desk.

I must conclude you are here looking for The High Warden.

Do you know what's going on then? Keygan asked him sitting.

I know he's in some trouble. I'll sort it out later though, since for the moment he's not in danger. YOU, however very well could be in both. This may not sound like a pleasant option, since I realize you've not been in the city long, but I think you'd be well advised to leave the city. The merchant's murder seems to be some sort of catalyst for all sorts of goings on here in the city.

"Well where is the High Warden if he's safe? "she asked a little more eagerly than Lucius expected.

Incarcerated, though I'm not priveledged to the specifics. It would seem he is a suspect in the merchant's murder. And there are members of this order who like that state of affairs. I really do need to get you out of the city, so you are out of sight and out of mind. I don't think anyone sees you for what you truly are yet. Then once I have you out of here I'll set to work getting Quint out of his dilemma and most likely come to meet you.

"You're serious. He never even met me, that is I......."She began to stammer.

I know you killed him, I even know why child. We can talk about it at a later time though. Go to your room at the inn and be ready for me to arrange to transport you out of the city. Don't do anything suspicious though, go back and have a meal relax. I'll come as soon as it's dark

As promised Lucius showed up after nightfall. She was taking her dinner in her room and her mind continued to wander. Once Lucius arrived she made arrangements with him over the peddler's cart and listened to his instructions for her.

He wanted her to go to the city fortress where the wardens now did almost all of their training. A place called simply "Arsenal".Keygan wasn't exactly sure how she felt about that. So she tried not to dwell on it, and decided to take the leap of faith, by believing that Lucius actually might know what he was talking about.

He helped her pack, not that she had much. He also gave her some money, a letter to introduce her to the commandant, and promised to make arrangements for the peddler."I'll send word about what progress I make here as soon as I can." He promised her as they parted company.

She planned to embark at first light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home